Sunday, November 06, 2005

...After a hike in the clouds

Hi!

It took a while, but the damage and cruel stiffness caused by our last
hike
has finally subsided to a tolerable level. The third and fourth day's
after
the trip turned out to be the most painful for me. When the muscles
surrounding my knees finally loosened up and released their protective
grip
on the battered joints...it felt almost like a pane of glass had been
shattered, and the most exquisite pain came rushing out from along the
thousand or so jagged edged stress fractures criss- crossing and
encasing
the knee bones. Today, I finally completed my 1st session in the gym
since
going on the hike...not my best exercise performance...but at least I'm
back
in training.
I'm hoping we can get off another adventure above the tree line
before
the huts close and the snow sticks...but it could be tough, what with
our
busy schedules and all. I'll need some time, also, to upgrade my hiking
gear
before having another go at the high windy rock piles of the
Presidential
range. As a preliminary route suggestion-what would you think about (1)
starting at Pinkham notch (2) hiking into Tuckerman's Ravine and then
up
over the head wall (3) to the Lake in the clouds hut (4) Staying over
night
there and then (5) either making another run at Mt. Washington and/or
(6)
simply continuing around it, to Mt. Madison and staying over night at
the
hut there, (7) Before descending down to 302? and (8) grabbing a ride
or
shuttle back to Pinkham Notch? You're the planner/detail guy...so I'm
sure
you'll come up with something "interesting"...Let me know what kind of
sadistic merriment you have in mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home